Saturday, May 18, 2013

Going Mobile In Shelving

Yesterday, I was shelving some books at the UGA Main Library.  We recently moved the call range of LC to the north half of the building on the second floor, and posted signage on the old LC location indicating their movement.  The signage specifically read, "The LC's have been moved to the North side of the building.  For help finding a book, text xxx-xxx-xxxx."  I'm not sure how many people have texted the reference department for help, but I do know that two patrons came in during my shift, saw me shelving on the opposite side of the floor, and asked if I could guide them to the new LC location.  Additionally, the signage did not indicate that the LC's were WAY FAR to the north, and not simply shifted a few ranges over.

Morale of the story, roving reference beats a mobile contact.  Roving reference + mobile contact = Win.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! Maybe you need a map? I know when Henderson reopened it posted these maps so we could find stuff. It didn't really help though as most of the stuff was still put in a different location...

    ReplyDelete