Monday, May 20, 2013

JOOMLA!

http://jburnley.cloudaccess.net/

Boy, do I hope you are all as nerdy as I am...

I can imagine a content-creating experience far faster and easier than Joomla!  Creating a category, then an article, then a menu item, and then perhaps going back to the media manager because you want an image in your article, then back to the article manager to implant the image, and then back to the menu to link to the article... it all seems a bit too back and forth.  The repetition is nice for getting to learn how something works, but I can imagine a system where editing articles, uploading images, changing the layout, and linking to menu items all takes place in the same window.  Also, is it possible to make the back end look more similar to the front end?  That way, making changes (such as reformatting the size of an image) reflects the instantaneous change with the appearance of the site.  Also, a larger editing window with more tools (Yes, should have gone with the component) would be very helpful.


That said, I enjoyed the experience of making a website.  I wish I had more time to develop it, and a greater knowledge of all of Joomla's expansive tools.  My end product took a lot of time to make something that looks very basic.  I also wish I had a website topic where I could include more of my own photos and had more time to write substantial content.  Once the learning curve was out of the way, the CMS provided an easy way to get a website launched quickly.

1 comment:

  1. I understand your frustration perfectly. I also feel if we had had another week to work on this, we all would have great sites ready to go. Or if we could have accessed the full range of tools and templates.

    ReplyDelete